Mulch Volunteer Interest
Thank you for your interest in volunteering to help with mulch! Please fill out the information below and the Volunteer Coordinators will assign roles based on the interest lists generated and will inform you of your duties. Be sure to communicate conflicts as soon as possible to the mulch team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Dates & General Info:
Friday, April 5:
Parents will deliver pallet-size orders only from St. Luke’s Church distribution point using cool tools like box trucks and pallet jacks! Box Truck Helpers should be able to lift 50 lbs. they will be assisting with pushing pallets on pallet jacks. Fortunately there is a little slinging of individual bags of mulch required.
- Operations helpers
- Box truck drivers & navigators
- “Push” pickup trucks/SUVs with steel bumpers
- Box Truck Teams of 4-5 helpers which will ride in push truck
- Photographer (to document the mulch magic!)
Saturday, April 6:
Parents will continue delivering pallet-size orders from VHS only, including push trucks/SUVs driven by adults with parent/student helpers.
Parent and student teams will be comprised of Mulch-carrying Vehicles followed by Chase Vehicles and deliver from VHS and CRMS parking lots.
- Operations helpers (VHS & CRMS locations)
- Traffic & Safety Monitors.
- Box truck drivers & navigators (VHS only)
- Box Truck Teams of 4-5 helpers which will ride in push truck (VHS only)
- “Push” pickup trucks/SUVs with steel bumpers (VHS only)
- Mulch-Carrying Vehicles (VHS & CRMS): Pickups (w/ trailers even better!), SUVs, & Minivans.
- Chase Vehicles driven by adults
- LOTS & LOTS of students will fill out the delivery teams in Chase Vehicles!
- Students are allowed to drive Mulch-Carrying Vehicles but student helpers must ride in Chase Vehicles.
- Photographers (to document the mulch magic!)
Role Descriptions & Info:
- Command Center Helper – Assist Ops Center leads with various tasks to prepare delivery tickets for distributions. Provide delivery tickets to mulch vehicles & await return of vehicles/tickets to complete delivery tracking. Leads will provide on-the-job training. Prior experience helpful, but new helpers welcome!
- Traffic & Safety Monitors – Route traffic flow in and out of the “mulch yard”. Monitor all activity in and around the mulch yard to help keep parents and students safe among all vehicle, equipment and forklift movement. Direct students in cleaning of mulch yard as day progresses. Help with minor medical attention as needed.
Box Truck Teams Info (Friday & Saturday)
- Driver – Drive a box truck for pallet deliveries. Prior experience strongly preferred, as well as availability to pick up truck on Thursday afternoon and return on Sunday.
- Navigator – Plan route for driver based on delivery tickets and navigate to each stop (phone & power cord req’d).
- “Push” pickup truck/SUV with steel bumpers – Follow box truck to delivery locations and carry helpers.
- Helper – Ride in the Push Vehicle and help load/unload mulch for delivery from Box Truck. (able lift 50 lbs)
Mulch-Carrying Vehicles & Chase Vehicles Info (Saturday).
- Mulch-Carrying Vehicle – A pickup truck, SUV or minivan that can carry mulch.
- Chase Vehicle – Vehicle that holds 3-5 students that follow mulch vehicle to help unload bags.